Anti-Aging & Preventive Medicine
Seek wellness BEFORE, not AFTER, disease arrives. It is not the years but the the miles and the quality of life in those years. Regular and appropriate maintenance and prevention are essential to assure that your golden years are truly golden and not your yearning years.
Label a product as anti-aging, and chances are it will go flying off the shelf. Our aging population is seeking ways to hang onto our mental, physical and emotional health. The relatively new specialty of Anti-Aging Medicine was born out of this desire. It may also be known as and is synonymous with Age Management, Healthy Aging or Longevity and Preventive Medicine. We simply call it "Feel Good Medicine".
Anti-Aging is defined as a medical specialty that applies scientific and medical technologies for the early detection, prevention, treatment and reversal of age-related dysfunction, disorders and diseases. The goal of Anti-Aging Medicine is to prolong the healthy human lifespan (with an emphasis on healthy). The goal is to add life to your years, not simply to add years to your life.
Many physician convert to Anti-Aging Medicine, arrive there through a pathway that includes dealing with their own health issues and finding their chosen profession falls short. Unfortunately, majority of clinicians do not support the use of hormones. What they don't understand is the difference between chemically altered (synthetic) and Bio-Identical hormones. This dissimilarity is not understood by many physicians, journalists, and the lay public.
Anti-Aging Medicine comes primarily from a functional medicine approach, looking for the root causes of disease in the body and seeking to assist in the body’s ability to heal. Since aging is associated with increased disease, it is thought that aging can be altered by various methods to slow or interrupt the aging process.
Since all our hormones decline with age, Bio-Identical hormone therapy is an integral part of Anti-Aging Medicine. Looking at metabolic function and the state of our DNA and its ability to repair itself are part of an anti-aging evaluation. An emphasis is placed on nutrition, exercise and biomarkers to assess aging. Many tools exist, and others are being developed to measure your “biological age” versus your chronological age. While many doctors also offer botox, lasers, dermal fillers and other options to improve and maintain a youthful appearance, anti-aging is not synonymous with cosmetic procedures, and not all practices offer this service. Research is underway in regenerative techniques like stem cell therapies, gene therapies and organ replacement. Anti-Aging Medicine is an area of intense, ongoing research looking for techniques and therapies to promote health and slow aging.
What can I do now?
Many things have been found to possibly reduce the incidence of chronic disease. In one study, not smoking, healthy weight, healthy diet and exercise slashed the incidence of chronic disease by a startling 80%!
- Don’t smoke, and if you do, stop. This is the number-one factor in premature death.
- Dietary modifications and lifestyle. What you put in your body matters. Follow a diet high in fresh vegetables and colorful fruits high in antioxidants and fiber. Avoid “dead” foods that come out of a box. Consume alcohol in moderation. Eat organic. It matters.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Not too much, not too little. Being underweight can increase mortality even more than obesity, so 10 extra pounds is probably not going to be a breaking point.
- Healthy mind makes for a healthy body. As Deepak Chopra says, “Your thoughts control your life.” Studies have shown that being calm and organized as opposed to anxious, angry and fearful is associated with longevity. People who have friends and a good social support system live longer. Married people live longer. Meditation can help manage a stressful life and promote healthy thoughts and brain function.
- 6-8 hours of sleep a night is essential. The best time to sleep is between the hours of 10pm and 6am, as this follows the body’s natural circadian rhythms.
- Reduce stress through changes in your lifestyle and meditation.